Monday, April 16, 2012

My Birthday


Hello all,

I have yet to write about my trips in the past month. I've been very busy with things. The third week of March I went to Valencia to observe las fallas and the first two weeks of April I traveled to Madrid, Toledo, Córdoba, and Sevilla. I will tell you all about it this weekend. I never really had a chance to rest before I started work today. I returned from Sevilla yesterday. Sevilla to Córdoba, Córdoba to Madrid, Madrid to Logroño. I traveled for 11 hours but with breaks in between each trip. When my birthday began, I was still on the bus. I returned to Logroño at about 1:30am. Exhausting! I didn't get a chance to see Granada.

In fact, I haven't been to all of the places that I planned to visit. Money limits my travels. :( Anywho. Now my goal is to visit the remaining autonomous communities of Galicia, Extremadura, and Murcia. I want to visit friends in Naples and Dublin, but I might have to wait for another time.

Anywho...My birthday
So I didn't get to do anything special, because I had to work. I spend all my Mondays in Haro. The first thing I did was give myself the gift of sleep. I allowed myself a couple more hours than usual. I sat around some more and then went to work. I had a fairly easy day. Only two of the teens showed up for conversation class. It turned out great. We talked about our vacations and then told jokes. I told them corny jokes. They told me corny jokes. Good fun.
For example: (told by a 16 year old)
Doctor: I have been trying to contact you. I have some good news and some bad news. Which one do you want first?
Patient: the good news
Doctor: You have only 24 hours left to live.
Patient: Woah. If that's the good news, what is the bad news?
Doctor: I have been trying to contact you for 23 hours.
here are the ones I told them (http://iteslj.org/c/jokes-short.html)


At the adult school, I taught the students about American weddings, and they described spanish weddings for me. There were some very bitter people. One guy said that "I do" means "yes, I will be your slave and carry this ring to... I mean have you seen Lord of the rings?!" He also said that the groom is the victim and the vicar should be called liars. mmk.
Afterwards, I had conversation practice with some basic 2 students. They said it was tradition to pull the ears of the birthday person. So two people pulled my ears simultaneously. Haha. So instead of birthday hits or birthday candles, I got birthday ear pulls. Woo woo!

After practice of course, I went to my sevillanas class and was surprised by how much I remembered after a two week break!

And how will I finish my night? By sending in my federal and state taxes, of course.

Well, at least I'm Spain. I've never spent my birthday out of country. I'm alive and well and on an 8 month trip. That's good enough for me.


Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment