Monday, December 19, 2011

My students make my social life possible...

I say this because most of my outings happen due to invitations from my students. Haha. It reminds me of ASU...


Friday, I had dinner with my basic 2 students in Haro, and it was fabulous.


All of them are older than 40 and so are really committed to learning English. They want English for their own personal development and not for a job. That's how I feel about learning languages. I want to be able to communicate with different people from different cultures without the stress of having my paycheck depend on my language level.


Before dinner, I stayed a student's house and planned my holiday trips. She gave me cookies, tea, and supplied with me a scarf because my silly self went to Haro without one. We then headed out to a bar to have some coffee.


Eleven on the students were at the dinner. They thought it would be funny to test me. They asked me if I remembered all of their names and , of course, I did remember them all. I have almost 300 students so it's a bit difficult at times.


We had a nice three course meal, and I was lectured on the history of wine in La Rioja. Because they don't know very much English, I was able to practice my Spanish for a long time. They did want to practice their English sometimes but not the entire time. They shared their English woes and made a proposal to me to help them improve their English for the A2 level test at the end of at the school year. I will try my best to help them.


After dinner, we went to a discotheque and danced for a little bit. By this time, I was too tired to dance anything. At the discotheque, I saw some of my advanced 1 students. They had invited me to dinner on the same day, but I went with my basic 2 students because they had asked first. At this point, I spoke less English and less Spanish. Every one tried to get a word in with me to practice. That's what I love about being here. I can English lessons for many things. I wonder if the dance teacher will take English lessons for dance lessons. Hehe. We'll see.


Anywho, after the discotheque, I stayed at my student's house and fell asleep on a nice bed with a layer of memory foam. Aaah. The next morning, she took me back home and told me that I was welcome anytime in her house. She's so sweet!


Well, I'll catch up with you all later.


Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment