Friday, September 30, 2011

Orientation Day


Something by Joan Miró

Wall of grass in madrid

Cathedral outside of the Prado Museum

Hello all,

I am tired. Jet lag is starting to set in. I think it's late, because I haven't really slept much. It hit me hard this morning when I woke up at 7:30 am which is 1:30am eastern US time. I am not a happy person. to make it worse, I have to sit through orientation until 6pm. I haven't really been paying attention, because I have been nodding off all morning. It's pretty interesting, but a bit long. We listened to introductions from foreign ambassadors from every country that is represented in this program: USA, Portugal, UK,Ireland, Austria, Germany, Australia, Italy, China, Finland, and France. Imagine how long that took! Especially the ones who gave their speeches in spanish and then translated into their native tongues!

So about yesterday. I traveled with two other people on the metro to see The national art museum of Reína Sofía. It was fantastic, I was able to see Pablo Picasso's most famous painting Guernica. I love him. It looks like a mess when you first glance at the painting, but a greater understanding comes with a study of the history behind the painting. We also saw some painting's of Spanish artists Dalí, Gris, Miró, Goya, and some other artists that I can't really remember right now. We didn't get a chance to go to the Prado museum, because we were exhausted by the time we were done with the national museum. I saw it last year and so truly know what the others were missing. That trip will probably happen another time.

After arriving back at the hotel, I took a late siesta :) and had dinner.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. I make my way to La Rioja. Let the fun begin!

P.S. Sorry about the crappy pictures, I didn't have my real camera.



Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment