Friday, November 18, 2011

Weekend in Santander

Hello people!

I did it again. I waited 2 weeks to post something. As usual, I was busy preparing for my zillion lessons. Now that I have a day free, I can tell you about my trip.

The weekend of November 11th, I went to the beautiful city of Santander in the Cantabria province, making that the first time that I traveled outside of La Rioja. I wasn't sure that I wanted to go, because the trip was last minute and made me a little uneasy. I like careful planning unlike my friend in Georgia who takes random trips to Cherokee, NC. I seriously thought about dropping from the trip, but I really needed a break from Logroño. The money I spent was definitely worth it. I had the opportunity to travel with two awesome people (one a dancer (!) and the other a seasoned traveler). Mereció la pena.

I went with two other English assistants, Rebecca and Cate, who live in Logroño. We didn't do very much on Friday, because we were tired from the long bus ride. We found a cheap hostel, went out for some greasy food, and stayed in.

We spent most of the next day exploring the city and the beach. While on the beach, we took a lot of photos and played around in the kid's area. There is a playground on the beach that has swings, a jungle gym, a slide that goes to the lower level, and some kind of HAGS(haha hag) mobile equipment. I'm not sure of the actual name. It's like a modified see saw. It was fun. I have no shame.

After the playground we walked around some more and saw the Bay of Biscay. Around that area was a small zoo that had some penguins, seals, and ducks. I think the ducks were a replacement for something much larger that was removed. The family here tells me it was a bear. Mmk.

Later that night, we went to free outdoor concerts that were apart of "La noche es joven" events (http://portal.ayto-santander.es/portal/pls/portal/docs/7661076.PDF). The concerts featured two awesome Jazz-soul and funk bands called Papa Shango and Vespa Groove + Horns Gis. I'll post the video of the concert later.

The night was still young after the concert (hehe) so we found a small bar in the center of the city and danced to 80s music with some drunk Spaniards until like 3 o'clock in the morning.

The next day, we slept in late and then headed out for the bus. It was a sad day for me. You know, leaving the beach and all. I will definitely return to Santander. I learned that I can take a ferry from there to Plymouth, England. It's a 24 hour cruise, but it might be fun.

Pues, nada. Hasta luego!

P.S. My internet connection is slow so I'll post the pictures tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment