Friday, October 21, 2011

The early bird catches the train?


Yesterday in my Advanced 1 class, I went over some famous English Proverbs. I'm sure you know most of them. The students knew most of them.

The teacher and I passed out worksheets with 16 famous English proverbs. The students were directed to select the correct endings of the proverbs. Let me tell you about the ones that they guessed incorrectly...

1. People who live in glass houses shouldn't have secrets.

2. Where there's a will, there's a lawyer.

3. The early bird catches the train.

4. A miss is as good as a Mrs.


Although number 2 is wrong, it does make sense.

No comment about number 4...

Only one person chose train, but I thought it was worth mentioning here. Another student explains why the ending should have been worm. She used the literal translation of a similar spanish proverb. "A quien madruga Dios le ayuda." Which literally means God helps those who wakes up early. I then said, "So if the bird wakes up early enough, he gets the best seat on the train." It makes sense, no?

Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment