Sunday, October 23, 2011

Trip to San Asensio



I think Rebecca (another english assistant) was right. They did enjoy the free labor...

I just returned from a Wine festival in San Asensio, La Rioja. It is a small town about 30 minutes from Logroño. I intended to go yesterday, but I overslept. I wasn't going to go today, because I didn't feel up to it this morning. I was still upset about being locked out of the house yesterday. I'll tell you about that later.

I stood in front of the bus station for about 5 minutes trying to decide if I should catch the bus or not. I decided to go, because I remember someone telling me to take advantage of every opportunity. I'm broke, but the bus ride was only 2 euros. I'm glad I went.

While there, I visited a bodega Lecea (http://bodegaslecea.com/ )that was giving a short tour about the process of winemaking. At the end of the tour, I ate a chorizo sandwich and had a glass of wine. I promise you that wine was the only option for drinks. It was a meal deal: un bocadillo de chorizo y vino, 3 euros.




After I finished, I watched the process of smashing the grapes, but I didn't take part in the process just yet. I wanted to walk around for a little bit. At 1300hr, I threw off my shoes and jumped on the grapes to start smashing. Yes, they smash the grapes with their feet. You know when you say something is so good that it tastes like someone's feet have been in it? If you drink wine from Spain, someone's feet was in it. It may be my feet. How lucky you are!


It was a lot of fun, and it helped lift my mood. It wasn't as messy as I thought it would be. I envisioned something like Pamplona where people throw sangria in the air. I didn't really get dirty. I just had grape juice up to my ankles.

The workers loved that so many people wanted to help. I also think that they were impressed and probably a little turned on to see women stepping on grapes. I heard the interesting side comments and was asked why I didn't bring my boyfriend to help smash grapes.

After 1 hour, I cleaned up so that I could get ready to walk back to the bus stop. After I left, only the workers were stomping on the mound of grapes. I suppose the other people were dressed too nicely to stomp on grapes.

I didn't buy a bottle of wine, because...well, you know. I only live 30 minutes away, so I can visit anytime I want.

Stay tuned for more pics!

Pura Vida!

-Bionca

No comments:

Post a Comment